Friday, December 25, 2009

The cheapest way to Mac

When I moved a few months back I had the "opportunity" to renegotiate with Comcast and as a result ended up with a bundled deal of some sort, and a free Dell Mini 10v. As I just recently hit the magic 90 day mark on the cable service the netbook arrived on my door. I had been looking forward to this, a super small notebook for travel etc.. and even better that it's free! However after powering it up and playing with it a bit I just can't deal with Windows XP. Vista's been out for a few years, Windows 7 is released (and a great OS) but they still ship these things with plain old boring XP.

Some searching around for other OS options that would run well on the netbook platform led me to http://www.mydellmini.com where they have some fantastic guides on quickly and easily turning the Dell into what I suspect is the worlds cheapest Mac. It took me longer to restore my OS X 10.6 install DVD to an external hard drive than it did to wipe the XP nastiness off the Netbook and get OS X up and running.

So far so good, it's been stable, quick and plays nicely with the other computers on the home network.

Off to make Christmas dinner, happy holidays!

0 comments: